Saturday, January 16, 2010

Crusoes and Product Placement and a Pretty Pic

I finished listening to the Librivox version of Robinson Crusoe. I loved the book, though I'm sorry to say that the reader never developed a natural flow. Throughout, he paused every third word or so, regardless of the rhythm of the prose. I did my best to ignore it, and the story was engrossing enough that I was able to listen and enjoy (and complaining about volunteer readers for a free service is churlish, so I'll stop now).

One thing I never understood about the story (SPOILER) is why Robinson didn't also rescue the shipwrecked Spanish sailors on the cannibal island. He promised them help, and then sailed away with only Friday.

Luckily, Daniel Defoe succumbed to sequel fever, and I am now listening to The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (the spelling of farther/further changes- sometimes it's one way, sometimes the other). I believe that the Spanish Question will be answered for me. And I'm happy to say that this reader has a much more natural delivery. This book seems not to be in print anywhere- I can't find a cover to show you all. But it's available from Librivox, and various other e-book locations online.

Plug time: my Stepdaughter Jeni Buckingham is a jeweler and metal smith- check out her Sterling Maiden website. She does beautiful custom work. She sent us these amazing hand worked copper oak leaves for Christmas.



I love them, and have no plans to put them away. They fit in with the decor of my house, so they'll be on permanent display.

She also sent me this gorgeous felted purse:


It's a Fair Trade handbag, from Rising Tide, in Nepal, and it's extremely well made with a zippered fabric lining (even the pockets have zippers). It was wet felted, and has needlefelting and appliqued accents.

And since I forced my friend Jane to go to The Meadow in Portland, OR, twice last summer, just to taste and buy salts, she was pretty safe in selecting more as Christmas gifts.


She sent the Korean Isle Fleur de Sal (wonderful granular sea salt) and the wee salt spoons (they hold perhaps 1/16 tsp), both from The Meadow. My friend Kris (who had to listen to my enthusiastic ravings twice last summer as well) sent me some Cyprus Black Lava Mediterannean Black Salt Flakes from Artisan Salt Co, which is based in Woodinville, WA. The Cyprus Black Lava doesn't seem to be listed on their website, but a white version, Cyprus Flake is there.

Whether you have the white or black versions (and we have some white from The Meadow), this salt forms in pyramid shaped crystals


and is absolutely amazing. It's a finishing salt- wonderful on salads, pasta and meat. I have become a gourmet salt fanatic.

And here's one more frost picture. This one was taken from inside the house, through the loft window.

3 comments:

Mark Bitterman said...

The Meadow Sel Gris is one of my favorite new salts! I'm so glad you like it! Try it sprinkles over slices of roast chicken. If you are interested, our website is www.themeadow.net

Betty said...

What wonderful creative gifts, Kathi. Thanks for sharing!

Jeni Buckingham said...

Kathi - I'm so glad you love the purse (I thought of you when I saw the colors) and copper oak leaves. Thank you for the lovely plug and especially for being gracious about my lateness in sending the package off; I have photos of the ring project that ate my schedule on my blog if you'd like to see them: jenibjewelry@blogspot.com. (sorry, I guess that's a plug, too!)

~Jeni