Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Sock Club Week #4, and Sock of the Day #5

Mouse reports that the Sock Club didn't meet much in December because... duh... December. But they did meet

and Amy is ready to poke her eye out, but Wilda is helping her. Amy got heavier yarn and is going to start over. Given the amount of travel that I'm doing lately, I think I need to find a way to Portland so I can help Amy myself.

Sock of the Day #5 was a most happy accident.


Not that the yarn was dyed accidentally, but that I was dyeing with Frog Girl, and we accidentally stumbled on the method for producing self-patterning spirals, not that we knew that fact until after I knit the socks up. (And that, my friends, is the power of taking very good notes. If I had not written down exactly how the yarn was dyed, I would never have been able to replicate the process.)

Frog Girl dyed this particular yarn. The method, after a bit of modification, made it into The Big Book of Socks, and I've taught the process in class several times (including at SAFF and NCFF, whose page seems to be missing this morning).


I've worn these socks for years (holes were fixed pre-Sock Summit Darning Class, obviously) and it always makes Frog Girl smile proudly when I wear them (I didn't knit the yarn up for her because I do not give small children hand-wash socks. That's too much of a burden for the launderer). The yarn was Knit Picks original version of Merino fingering weight Bare, and the dye colors are still vibrant. And the stripes match!

1 comment:

Geek Knitter said...

Good notes cannot be overestimated!