Friday, January 8, 2010

Brrrrrr..... Finally!!!!.... The Sock Club Week 5... Valerie's Hats!!!

I live in South Dakota. I've lived in South Dakota since November of 1970, which means that I am well aware that it gets cold here. But for crying out loud...-25F with wind chills of -45? It's the second Friday of the month, which means that my knitting group meets today. In Aberdeen. Which is 43 miles away. Am I crazy enough to drive that far, on roads that were closed just two days ago, in this cold? I don't know.

Meanwhile, as Mother Nature continues her all-too-frequent tantrums, I've done nothing but hunker down and knit (okay, and play games on Facebook. Currently Plock! has me mesmerized). I am making progress on the current FI book project. But I can only knit for so many hours on something complex before my brain scrambles (in case you're curious: 5). Once I start making mistakes, I know it's time to take a breather and pick up a soothing and simple project.



Not that these very well traveled mini-cable Koigu socks (15,500 car and air miles) were either soothing or simple, but I made... forced... myself to finish them before moving on to the sort of knitting that actually does refresh mind and body. I was absolutely determined not to take these unfinished socks with me to North Carolina a second time. And whaddyaknow? I got 'em done. Finally.


Mouse's report from the Sock Club Week 5: "Wednesday. The knitters were back. Well at least the ones that worked today.



It was Amy the girl who never gives up and Karen a new one.




Amy seems to be doing better as you can tell she has gotten almost an inch done and it has only been what 5 weeks. Karen just started and by the end of lunch she was where Amy was. She says it is because she has bigger needles and Amy believed that so I am going with that story. The only good thing is Amy has really tiny feet so maybe she will get her socks done



And it was Amy's birthday!!!"

Me again: Wahoo for Amy! Hang in there. And Welcome Karen!

And Valerie, a Ravelry Friend, made these Checks and Charms hats (the pattern seems to be no longer available) for her nieces. Aren't they beautiful? (the hats and the girls):


and a We Call Him Spidey Hat for her grandson, who has already put in an order for mittens!

Thanks for sharing, Valerie!

2 comments:

joannamauselina said...

Those socks are beautiful! Why the lack of enthusiasm?

Kathleen Taylor said...

joanna- I have no idea what the problem was. The yarn is beautiful, the socks are great, the pattern wasn't all that fiddly. But I found knitting them to be tedious in the extreme. I'm glad to be done with them, and thrilled that the socks are so lovely (they're slated for Christmas '10)