Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This 'n That

I am about to have a stern talk with Mother Nature. I'm flying out to North Carolina on Friday, to teach classes on Saturday with a wonderful group of knitters, and then back on Sunday*. There is no time for dilly dallying on this trip, no time to be fogged in 43 miles from the airport, as we have been for the last 3 days, and may be for the next 2 (with the added excitement of freezing rain). No leeway for missed or cancelled flights. We have an excellent weekend planned, and I am very much looking forward to going. So shape up, Ma.

I mentioned my stepdaughter Jeni Buckingham a couple of days ago. She's a metalsmith and a jewelry maker, and she has a blog. If you'd like to see the crafting of a pair of stunning, original wedding bands, check it out. It's a fascinating process.

A year ago, we started a batch of Blackberry Melomel, which is a honey-based fruit Mead. I faithfully chronicled the process from start, to bottling. Last night we opened a bottle of the Melomel. It definitely needs more ageing, but it's coming along. We also opened a bottle of Cream Sherry, made and bottled in June '05. Nearly five years have done well for this wine, which is now a beautiful dark amber. We made this wine from a kit from Northern Brewer, and fortified it with brandy (an old method). It's an excellent dessert wine, perfect for sipping on these cold (and foggy) evenings.



Sorry for the fuzzy pic. For some reason, I couldn't get a sharp image.


*yeah, I'm going all the way to NC for a weekend. I'm available for things like this. If you're interested in arrangeing a weekend workshop with your group, guild, class, or neighbors, shoot me an e-mail, and we'll talk.

No comments: