Saturday, May 24, 2008

Left Brain? Right Brain?

This is totally weird- a test to see if you're using your left brain or your right brain. I can see the lady twirl both ways, but it's easier for me to see her twirling clockwise (to get her to go counter clockwise, I have to look to the side and read something, and then she switches around). Supposedly only 14% of the people can see her twirl both ways, though that assertion isn't backed up by any research or other facts. The whole thing may be some sort of hoax, but it's interesting.

Give it a whirl.

http://www.where-what-how-why.com/?p=111

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you find this stuff?

I easily, and first see her spinning counter-clockwise, and then see her spinning clock-wise!

Too cool!!!

Tante J said...

At first she was spinning counter-clockwise but as I looked down at her feet she started spinning clockwise, then I saw her flip back to counter then back to clockwise.

Mary Keenan said...

I had the same experience - I wonder whether we're always switching back and forth between the sides of our brain?

Anonymous said...

I shared the spinning girl with members of a list I'm on, and several of them came to an interesting conclusion. If you start by looking at her head, she spins one way, if you start by looking at her feet, she spins the other.

Kathleen Taylor said...

I don't know the science behind the illusion (or if there is anything to the left/right brain in how we see her twirl), but it surely is fascinating.

I saw her turning counter clockwise at first too, and the clockwise. It took me quite awhile to get her to spin the other way again. I can do it, but it's not easy or fast.

Anonymous said...

It's sort of like one of those 3-D things they used to put in the funny papers. If you blurred your eyes the image would appear. At first I saw the 2 directions right away, then only clockwise for a long time. I looked at the hint, looked back, then finally at will made her dance both directions fairly easily. Great fun!

Karen said...

Bearing out the left vs. right brain thing, I could only see her spin clockwise...until I started doing simple math sums in my head, at which point she started spinning counter-clockwise. When I stopped doing math, she snapped back to clockwise. So maybe there is something to it?