It feels so good to finish a spinning project, and it feels especially good to finish one where I took the fiber from raw fleece to yarn (it'll feel even better when I knit it up, but that's going to have to wait until after the sock book is done).
I ended up with 8.6ozs of 2-ply yarn (from 1lb of raw fleece)- 46 yds of cream, 45 yds of oatmeal, 368 yds of med tan, and 130 yds dark tan, for a total of 589 yards of yarn (short of my 700yd estimate, back when I thought I was going to get closer to 100YPO)(silly me).
The yarn is fingering weight, and the color differences are subtle but nice. I hope to do a simple stranded pattern, or perhaps a cable with the color fading gradually from dark to light. This yarn is too soft for socks, but it would be perfect for a hat and mittens, knit on size 2 or 3 needles (3 for stranded, 2 for cables).
I learn something from every spinning project, and with this one, I learned that I am not able to properly card cormo on the drum carder. This soft wool should have had no lumps or bumps, but the yarn does. I let the fiber down by being in too much of a hurry. I should either have hand carded it (I have cotton cards, which should be fine enough for merino and cormo) or sent it out for processing. But the yarn is lovely, no matter what, and it should knit up beautifully.
Next up on the wheel- one of the Twisted Fiber Arts rovings.