Friday, July 18, 2008

Freebie Friday- A Beaded Floozy Hat











Finally! A Freebie Friday pattern. I probably won't ever get back to having a pattern ready every week, but I will post them as I have them ready, and always on Fridays.



This hat, as mentioned in the post earlier this week, was knit with yarn from Twisted Fiberart's Big Yarn Club. The yarn itself is exclusive to the club (which is closed now), and is not available anywhere- Meg dyed it in a style called Evolutions, in which the color changes gradually throughout the skein. The yarn is called Buxom, it's 100% Organic Merino (amazingly, wonderfully soft), and a Bulky weight. The colorway is Floozy, with rose, brown, green, and blue. The ball was 90 yards, and this hat used all but 5' of the yarn.

This hat, with the simple lace pattern, knit on size 10.5 needles, fits me with the cuff rolled as shown. But it fits my 7 year old granddaughter with the cuff rolled up more. It's pretty much one-size-fits-all.

I used my own handmade lampwork beads, but any commercial beads (glass or otherwise) that are about the size of Pony Beads, will work for this hat. Or you can omit the beads altogether.

I haven't tried this pattern with other yarns, but I assume it will work okay with other bulky yarns: Noro Iro, Lamb's Pride Bulky, Knit Picks Cadena, your own bulky handspun. Give it a shot, and send me pics. I'll post them here.

Click on the 2 pages to enlarge, right click to save as jpgs, print from any graphics program. As with all of my original patterns posted here, you may make as many as you like, you may donate them to charity, you may even sell them (if you're a single knitter, not a company or a factory). Please do not repost the pages elsewhere, or print them to hand out to people. Do, please, direct people here to download and print them themselves. Thank you.

2 comments:

donna said...

Thank you so much for sharing...love this hat!

Glenda said...

Kathleen,

I have been an admirer of your mysteries for a long time, so I was delighted to read in the SD Magazine that you were now writing knitting books. I have been knitting now for about 3 years, and it is a definite addiction, along with hand embroidery, crochet, quilting and a few more that I can't remember. I can't wait to try some of your projects! And, I enjoyed reading your blog from beginning to end. Keep up the good work and good luck w/the latest book!