Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jam Yesterday, and Jam Tomorrow


... and whaddayaknow, jam today too...


16 pints of: raspberry, rhubarb (I waffled about the color, but opted for natural, rather than food-dye pink), kiwi, and kwibarppleberry (a mix of the leftover fruit, plus some apple juice). The Diabetic in the house doesn't eat jam anyway, and I will only taste a bit at lunch today, and the rest will be gifted, so I made it the usual way, though I had to scrounge for enough sugar to finish that last batch.


There is something so beautiful about the jewel colors of bubbling jam.


What? It's not always about the wool here.

4 comments:

LizzieHelen said...

My husband makes jams and jellies every year for the Kane County Fair. Sadly, he is usually the only entrant--the area is becoming for housing developments than farms. Of course, he wins blue. He entered 7 this year and got first in all--he even had competition in a couple of categories. He made sweet cherry jam, cherry-apricot jam, blueberry jam, strawberry jelly (our own home-grown strawberries), plum jelly, pomegranate jelly (from bottled juice), and cranberry sauce. We usually give jars away at Christmas to siblings and other relatives.
LizE

maxine said...

If you take knitting inspiration from the lovely bubbly colors of the jam, it is still all about the wool!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... I just love the sparkling, jewel-like colors of freshly made jam! I made strawberry and strawberry-banana jam just a few weeks ago, and I make grape jelly every year too. Store-bought jam or jelly? Not on my kids' PB & J! LOL! I used to give most of it away, but since I have three little ones, I have to make more to keep!

Anonymous said...

Jam is good. I ahve made strawberry this year so far but I really want to make apricot butter like I did last year. It was soooo good. Lots of hot hard work.