Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sherwood




I am in the middle of spinning 4ozs of Twisted Fiberarts Sherwood roving, in the Sleek blend (Merino/Tencel). It took me awhile to find my rhythm with this fiber on the wheel (it might be better suited for a spindle). It's extremely slippery, and also very fly-away (it gets everywhere). But it's worth the work. I have 2.3 ozs spun up, and Navajo 3-plied into 193 yds of gorgeous yarn. It has an amazing drape and sheen (neither of which shows up in the photo), and the colors are wonderful. I don't think it'll be suited for socks at all (no elasticity and too shiny), but it would be fine for a scarf, or luxurious hat, I think.


It'll be fun to see how this handspun Sherwood knits up, as opposed to the Sherwood sock yarn (superwash Merino) that I also bought from Twisted Fiberarts. The colorways are the same, but the sock yarn is a mutating variegate (meaning the mottled colors slowly mutate at regular intervals), and while the handspun will also *mutate*, I don't think it's going to be at any regular interval. I didn't even try to maintain the color separation in my plying- the colors are just going to happen as they happen.
The pic just shows one of the two skeins I have finished spinning. It's a nice fingering weight yarn, and given that 100YPO is still beyond me, I'll probably end up with 350 yds or so.

2 comments:

Karen said...

You do realize that you're making me want to learn to spin, right? This is so pretty...

Kathleen Taylor said...

muahaa- haa... it's all part of my evil plan to take over the world,one fiber fanatic at a time.... (twirls mustache)