Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Serves Me Right


I discovered this awhile ago, but it still gives me a chuckle. I have been known to laugh at awful designs from other knitters (What Not to Knit is a link here at Dakota Dreams), so it was only a matter of time before someone found one of my designs laughable.

For what it's worth, I did reply on the site- but just to say that the vest had been entirely hand knit, that it was part of a larger set, and that I really enjoyed knitting it. I didn't say that those ghosts and cats took over my world for awhile, and I mostly had to talk Knit Picks into publishing the pattern in the first place (which they did, bundled with a Snowflake vest, and an alphabet design)(the leaflet is out of print now).

You design, and knitters review. That's how it works (and if you want to read bad reviews, check out a few of the amazon comments about my mysteries). I still check back in with What Not to Knit, and I still laugh at the other awful designs. But I'm a little gentler about it now.

Edited to add: I just remembered something that saved the vest from being even more derision-worthy. When I was designing it, my husband (who rarely pays attention to the knitting because it's happening all the time) said, "You might want to put a space or an exclamation point or something in there." I asked why. He said, "Because otherwise people are going to think you're saying *boob*."

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I just found your blog from a comment you left on another blog. Your husband's comment cracked me up! I remember the vests in KnitPicks - I think they are cute.

Brandie said...

OMG! The boob comment just had me rolling!
My parents have a fall festival at their farm, and you wouldn't have been the first person to make something without a space if he hadn't said something to you ROFL! =)